The city’s name means “village of the Moon.” Chandrapur was the capital of the Gond dynasty from the 12th to the 18th century, and it was later conquered by the Maratha Bhonsles from Nagpur. It formed part of the British Central Provinces from 1854 until Indian independence in 1947.
Located on major rail and road routes, the city is a commercial centre for the cotton, grain, and other crops grown in the surrounding area. Industries, based on local minerals, include several collieries and glassworks. The city is also noted for the production of such luxury goods as silk fabrics and ornamental slippers. Chandrapur has several colleges affiliated with Gondwana University in Gadchiroli. Tadoba National Park lies a short distance north of Chandrapur. Pop. (2001) 289,450; (2011) 320,379.